Projekt Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

Language select

  • Project: The Lost Villages of the Gotschee Germans

    The Lost villages of the Gotschee Germans is an interactive multimedia project by Center for mladinsko kulturo Kočevje (Centre for The Culture of Youth in Kočevje). Answerable for a cultural heritage we researched, responsible for a local history we documented what otherwise would be probably gone with the wind. You are looking at the part of project, which handles 12 villages of the Gotschee Germans. It marks them with signs and puts them on a map. The villages are furthermore presented by movies at www.KocevarskeVasi.si.From the middle of the 14th century until 1942, a German- speaking area of approximately 800 sq km in size was part of the Kočevsko region. During the Nazi occupation, Germans living in various European countries were massively migrated back to the German Reich by the Nazi government. After the Italians had occupied the Kočevsko region in 1941, a small German-speaking community of about 12,000 people had to migrate as well. The Gottscheer Germans were appointed the area along the Sava and the Sotla rivers in the Lower Štajersko region, from which the most Slovenians had been exiled. After WW2, the destiny of the Gottscheer Germans was similar to that of  other German-speaking communities in Slovenia. Those who did not leave with the German army at the end of the war and those few who remained in the Kočevsko region were exiled to Austria by the new Yugoslav government. Later, they dispersed and settled in various parts of Austria and Germany; many moved to the Unites States of America. 

    The exile of the Gottscheer Germans, post-war devastation and decay, and well-planned destruction of mostly sacral buildings in the 1950s had a fatal long-term effect on the area. More than one half of 176 villages in the Kočevsko region were destroyed: the area is now covered with woods. Only 28 out of 123 churches have been preserved, and out of approximately 400 chapels and religious signs about 40 can still be found. Many cemeteries were either levelled with the ground or the German tombstones were removed. Apart from the changes in the national structure, the economic and proprietorial situation of the area was profoundly changed. The Karstic soil and the densely wooded area of the Kočevski Rog with its deep abysses witnessed mass killings of several thousands of Slovenian soldiers opposing the National Front, who were returned to Slovenia after they had tried to emigrate. The extensive region was later closed to the public and a number of penal and work camps were set up. Very few remnants are left to this day to witness the 600-year- long presence of the German national community amidst the Slovenian territory. The plaques present the images of the once vibrant villages, countryside and its people, who shaped the Kočevsko region over the centuries. Author: dr. Mitja Ferenc

     

  • O projektu "Izgubljene kočevarske vasi"

  • 1
  • 2

 

It was only centuries later that there was any mention of Puchl – in the Kočevje Registry Book, 1574. The settlement was composed of six estates, which were split up to be divided among 24 estate landlords. The number of people in Puchl grew, and in 1880 there were 227 people in 43 houses. Emigration caused this number to fall steadily. Until 1910 the number decreased by more than a quarter (to 167 people). A similar trend continued between the two world wars. In 1931 there were 153 people living in 40 houses. During the Austrian census there were no Slovenians here. When asking about residents’ mother tongue, they discovered that there were 14 Slovenians in 1921 and 19 Slovenians in 1931. 

In the village’s core, which is framed by the main road and a side road, there were some meadows and orchards. In this area there was also a church and a place called Untershassi with two watering holes. They too had names: dai Grose Lokkha – the Big Pool – and dai Bintischiga Lokkha – the Smallish Pool. The village was also known as Dorf der Meditz, at a time when 15 landlords actually bore the family name of Meditz. There were two pubs in the settlement. People made living by farming and foresting. They made firewood, charcoal, railway sleepers, and drove it all to the railway station in Črnomelj. There was also a small amount of fruit growing and bee-keeping. 

There was a municipality, a parish, and a school in the nearby Koprivnik (1.5 km away). Before World War II, there were many prayer spot signs registered in the village. Two were located to the north, one next to the road to Koprivnik, and another at the village’s northern edge. In the south of village there was a chapel, next to the road to Nemška Loka. 

In the summer of 1942 the abandoned village with 43 houses was burnt down by the Italian Army, and after the war it was not rebuilt or repopulated. It belonged to the Municipality of Koprivnik. At the crossroad Koprivnik-Hrib-Črnomelj there is a tombstone, a memorial to seven fallen Partisans, and under a lime tree next to the road Koprivnik-Črnomelj there is a monument to the battle from July 1944, when the Home Guard, fighting the Partisans, suffered losses of 52 dead and 44 wounded. 

In January 1953, when a directive ruled to supplement the little settlements’ names, this village became Hrib pri Koprivniku (meaning Hrib by Koprivnik). 

A St. Martin’s Church of pilgrimage was built in 1856 at the same spot as the older and smaller one, which was already mentioned by Valvasor. It had a belfry above the entrance (made in 1878), an oblong nave, and a narrow three-sided presbytery. In the course of reconstruction the windows were changed. The interior probably had an even ceiling, only the presbytery had an arched one. In the root-like belfry there were three bells, which were taken away during World War I. The clock at the belfry was a gift by Johann Loschte from Linz. A portion of the church’s equipment – some statues and carvings – is under the care Dragatuš’ parish. 

 

Predstavitev vasi v besedi in sliki

  • All
  • Borovec Pri Kočevki Reki
  • Czmk
  • GLAŽUTA, Karlshütten, Gloschhittn
  • INLAUF, Inlauf, Inlaf
  • Izgubljene Kočevarske Vasi
  • JELENDOL, Hirisgruben
  • KUKOVO, Rapljevo, Kukundorf, Kukndoarf
  • Mitja Ferenc
  • Morobitz
  • Mröbitz
  • Nemška Loka, Unterdeutschau, Agə
  • ONEK, Honegg, Wrneggə
  • RAJHENAV, Reichenau, Reichenagə
  • Rajndol, Reintal, Reintol
  • Tvkocevje
  • VERDRENG Podlesje, Verdreng, Vərdreng