Projekt Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

Language select

The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a place with a view, near the round hilltop. This place had already been inhabited in earlier times. At the heap a prehistoric burial place was discovered.

 

It was only centuries later that there was any mention of Puchl – in the Kočevje Registry Book, 1574. The settlement was composed of six estates, which were split up to be divided among 24 estate landlords. The number of people in Puchl grew, and in 1880 there were 227 people in 43 houses. Emigration caused this number to fall steadily. Until 1910 the number decreased by more than a quarter (to 167 people). A similar trend continued between the two world wars. In 1931 there were 153 people living in 40 houses. During the Austrian census there were no Slovenians here. When asking about residents’ mother tongue, they discovered that there were 14 Slovenians in 1921 and 19 Slovenians in 1931. 

In the village’s core, which is framed by the main road and a side road, there were some meadows and orchards. In this area there was also a church and a place called Untershassi with two watering holes. They too had names: dai Grose Lokkha – the Big Pool – and dai Bintischiga Lokkha – the Smallish Pool. The village was also known as Dorf der Meditz, at a time when 15 landlords actually bore the family name of Meditz. There were two pubs in the settlement. People made living by farming and foresting. They made firewood, charcoal, railway sleepers, and drove it all to the railway station in Črnomelj. There was also a small amount of fruit growing and bee-keeping. 

There was a municipality, a parish, and a school in the nearby Koprivnik (1.5 km away). Before World War II, there were many prayer spot signs registered in the village. Two were located to the north, one next to the road to Koprivnik, and another at the village’s northern edge. In the south of village there was a chapel, next to the road to Nemška Loka. 

In the summer of 1942 the abandoned village with 43 houses was burnt down by the Italian Army, and after the war it was not rebuilt or repopulated. It belonged to the Municipality of Koprivnik. At the crossroad Koprivnik-Hrib-Črnomelj there is a tombstone, a memorial to seven fallen Partisans, and under a lime tree next to the road Koprivnik-Črnomelj there is a monument to the battle from July 1944, when the Home Guard, fighting the Partisans, suffered losses of 52 dead and 44 wounded. 

In January 1953, when a directive ruled to supplement the little settlements’ names, this village became Hrib pri Koprivniku (meaning Hrib by Koprivnik). 

A St. Martin’s Church of pilgrimage was built in 1856 at the same spot as the older and smaller one, which was already mentioned by Valvasor. It had a belfry above the entrance (made in 1878), an oblong nave, and a narrow three-sided presbytery. In the course of reconstruction the windows were changed. The interior probably had an even ceiling, only the presbytery had an arched one. In the root-like belfry there were three bells, which were taken away during World War I. The clock at the belfry was a gift by Johann Loschte from Linz. A portion of the church’s equipment – some statues and carvings – is under the care Dragatuš’ parish. 

 

Predstavitev vasi v besedi in sliki

  • All
  • Borovec Pri Kočevki Reki
  • Czmk
  • GLAŽUTA, Karlshütten, Gloschhittn
  • INLAUF, Inlauf, Inlaf
  • Izgubljene Kočevarske Vasi
  • JELENDOL, Hirisgruben
  • KUKOVO, Rapljevo, Kukundorf, Kukndoarf
  • Mitja Ferenc
  • Morobitz
  • Mröbitz
  • Nemška Loka, Unterdeutschau, Agə
  • ONEK, Honegg, Wrneggə
  • RAJHENAV, Reichenau, Reichenagə
  • Rajndol, Reintal, Reintol
  • Tvkocevje
  • VERDRENG Podlesje, Verdreng, Vərdreng