Projekt Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

Language select

  • O projektu Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

    Od srede 14. stoletja do leta 1942 je bilo na Kočevskem okrog 800 kvadratnih kilometrov veliko nemško jezikovno območje. Nacistična okupacijska oblast, ki je iz večih dežel v Evropi množično preseljevala svoje rojake v rajh, je po italijanski zasedbi Kočevske leta 1941 preselila tudi majhno (okoli 12.000 oseb) nemško narodnostno skupino na Kočevskem. Določili so ji območje ob Savi in Sotli na Spodnjem Štajerskem, s katerega so pred tem izgnali večino Slovencev.Po drugi svetovni vojni je bila usoda kočevskih Nemcev takšna kot usoda drugih Nemcev na Slovenskem. Tiste, ki se ob koncu vojne niso umaknili z nemško vojsko, in tudi nekaj tistih, ki so ostali na Kočevskem, so nove jugoslovanske oblastiizgnale v Avstrijo. Kasneje so se razkropili in naselili po avstrijskih in nemških pokrajinah, precej pa jih je odšlo v ZDA. Izselitev kočevskih Nemcev, vojno opustošenje, povojno propadanje ter načrtno rušenje predvsem sakralnih objektov sredi 50. let prejšnjega stoletja, so imeli za to območje daljnosežne in usodne posledice. Več kot polovica od 176 vasi na Kočevskem je bilo porušenih in jo danes prerašča gozd, od 123 cerkva se jih je ohranilo le 28, od okoli 400 kapelic in znamenj jih najdemo le še desetino. Številna pokopališča so zravnana ali pa so bili nemški nagrobniki na njih odstranjeni. Poleg spremenjene narodnostne podobe so se korenito spremenile tudi gospodarske in lastninske razmere in zemljiška sestava območja.Kraški in gozdni teren Kočevskega Roga je s svojimi globokimi brezni po vojni služil tudi za množične poboje nekaj tisoč vrnjenih domobrancev in drugih nasprotnikov partizanskega gibanja. Kmalu so na tem območju nastala kazenska in delovna taborišča in obsežno zaprto območje s posebnim režimom. Danes le še redki materialni ostanki spominjajo na 600 letno navzočnost nemške narodne skupine sredi slovenskega ozemlja. Na predstavitvenih tablah zato s sliko in besedo odkrivamo podobe nekdanjih vasi, krajine in prebivalcev, ki so stoletja sooblikovali Kočevsko. Avtor teksta: dr. Mitja Ferenc

  • O projektu "Izgubljene kočevarske vasi"

  • 1
  • 2

 

Some research has concluded that this village takes its name after the family Kuk, others that it was named after a hill, also called “Kuka” or “Kovka”. In medieval times it was dominated by the Čušperg nobility. At that time the village was at the northern boarder of the former German language island in the Kočevje region. It belonged to a road-side type of settlement. 

The population in this village grew by number constantly until 1900 – a rarity in the Kočevje region. At the dawn of the 20th century there were 128 people living in 19 houses. This time was followed by the years of emigration. Before World War I only 103 people were still living in 23 houses. Between World War I and World War II there were 78 people recorded as living in 22 or 18 houses, as noted by the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Only a few of them declared themselves as Slovenian. In 1890 there were 11 Slovenians, in 1921 there were 22, and 10 years later there were 9. Before World War II the settlement had 24 numbered houses; 3 of them were empty and 6 were wrecked.  

People made their living by farming, sawing wood, and hewing railway sleepers. Half an hour away there was a saw workshop run by Ivan Klun. In the 7 km distant Polom there was a parish, a municipality office, and the nearest school. After the municipality reform in 1933 the village belonged to the 14 km distant Stari Log. 

So, the village remained empty. In the summer of 1942 it was burnt down by Italian military units. At the end of war there were no people left, only 12 demolished houses. In 1955 a third of the settlements in the Kočevje region were abolished, and Kukovo was one of them. The area was merged with the Rapljevo hamlet and the Municipality Dobrepolje in 1999. 

The two brothers Gliebe were born in Kukovo. Franz Gliebe was the mayor of Polom. In the 1930s he was also the mayor of the great municipality of Stari Log. His brother, Josef Gliebe (3. 3. 1873 – 14. 7. 1960), was a priest. After his ordination in 1896, Josef started work as a curate in Fara. Later, for a year and a half he was in Kočevje, and after 1901 he was in Stari Log and Koprivnik. For just a brief time he was also in Kočevska Reka. In 1903 he arrived to Gotenica to work as a priest and remained there for the next 46 years. He did not join his fellow countrymen in their emigration during Der Sturm. For his collaboration with the Liberation Front he was awarded the Golden Sign of Freedom medal. 

After the war he was forced to leave Gotenica, as was everyone else in that village. Secretly, he took the golden chalice and monstrance from the Church of St. Oswald with him – both pieces date back to 1571. After leaving Gotenica Josef Gliebe continued his duty in Dolenja vas. He also died there. He is buried in Prigorica next to Dolenja vas, where a plaque on a church wall was placed in his memory.

The Church of St. Anthony of Padova was built in the first half of the 19th century to replace the smaller one which preceded it. It was thoroughly renewed in 1876 and is a reflection of the high baroque style. However, it still had modest altars dating from the middle of 19th century. 

After the emigration of the Gottschee Germans it was not used for a long time, so its implements were taken out. 

The church was pulled down as one of the last of 95 demolished churches in the Kočevje region. Before that, in 1954 it was nationalised and used as a stable. The roof started to leak and the ceiling began to sink. In February 1969, under the weight of snow, the roof collapsed, so only the trim and belfry remained. The church walls decayed rapidly. In 1980 The Kočevje Farm and Forestry Company handed the remains of the building to a farmer from Struge who completely destroyed the walls, scorching the stones into lime, in March. All the same, in the 1990s, there was still some rubble to be seen, but now, in the new century, there are almost no traces left in the field anymore. 

 

Predstavitev vasi v besedi in sliki

  • All
  • Borovec Pri Kočevki Reki
  • Czmk
  • GLAŽUTA, Karlshütten, Gloschhittn
  • INLAUF, Inlauf, Inlaf
  • Izgubljene Kočevarske Vasi
  • JELENDOL, Hirisgruben
  • KUKOVO, Rapljevo, Kukundorf, Kukndoarf
  • Mitja Ferenc
  • Morobitz
  • Mröbitz
  • Nemška Loka, Unterdeutschau, Agə
  • ONEK, Honegg, Wrneggə
  • RAJHENAV, Reichenau, Reichenagə
  • Rajndol, Reintal, Reintol
  • Tvkocevje
  • VERDRENG Podlesje, Verdreng, Vərdreng
  • There is an abandoned settlement which is lying in the Glažuta Valley, between Velika Gora (with its two peaks Turn,
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a place with a view, near the round hilltop. This
    Več +
  • In the North of the Borovec Valley there is a village by the name Borovec. To the west and south-west
    Več +
  • Once a workers’ settlement, Jelendol is situated in a wavy, woodsy world, next to the road between Dolenja Vas and
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated right at the edge, in the southeast of a system of
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a Carst basin between Kočevski Rog in the north and
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated on the eastern, rather gently sloping, side of the peak of
    Več +
  • This roadside village has almost a sample ground plan and was probably named after its’ situation – it lies at the
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a location to the west of Polom, in a hilly
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a hilly country, next to a road Struge–Kočevje. German word
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in the middle of the woods near the mountain Rog and
    Več +
  • The abandoned village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in the valley of Verderb and Verdreng or the Podleška valley,
    Več +