Projekt Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

Language select

  • O projektu Izgubljene kočevarske vasi

    Od srede 14. stoletja do leta 1942 je bilo na Kočevskem okrog 800 kvadratnih kilometrov veliko nemško jezikovno območje. Nacistična okupacijska oblast, ki je iz večih dežel v Evropi množično preseljevala svoje rojake v rajh, je po italijanski zasedbi Kočevske leta 1941 preselila tudi majhno (okoli 12.000 oseb) nemško narodnostno skupino na Kočevskem. Določili so ji območje ob Savi in Sotli na Spodnjem Štajerskem, s katerega so pred tem izgnali večino Slovencev.Po drugi svetovni vojni je bila usoda kočevskih Nemcev takšna kot usoda drugih Nemcev na Slovenskem. Tiste, ki se ob koncu vojne niso umaknili z nemško vojsko, in tudi nekaj tistih, ki so ostali na Kočevskem, so nove jugoslovanske oblastiizgnale v Avstrijo. Kasneje so se razkropili in naselili po avstrijskih in nemških pokrajinah, precej pa jih je odšlo v ZDA. Izselitev kočevskih Nemcev, vojno opustošenje, povojno propadanje ter načrtno rušenje predvsem sakralnih objektov sredi 50. let prejšnjega stoletja, so imeli za to območje daljnosežne in usodne posledice. Več kot polovica od 176 vasi na Kočevskem je bilo porušenih in jo danes prerašča gozd, od 123 cerkva se jih je ohranilo le 28, od okoli 400 kapelic in znamenj jih najdemo le še desetino. Številna pokopališča so zravnana ali pa so bili nemški nagrobniki na njih odstranjeni. Poleg spremenjene narodnostne podobe so se korenito spremenile tudi gospodarske in lastninske razmere in zemljiška sestava območja.Kraški in gozdni teren Kočevskega Roga je s svojimi globokimi brezni po vojni služil tudi za množične poboje nekaj tisoč vrnjenih domobrancev in drugih nasprotnikov partizanskega gibanja. Kmalu so na tem območju nastala kazenska in delovna taborišča in obsežno zaprto območje s posebnim režimom. Danes le še redki materialni ostanki spominjajo na 600 letno navzočnost nemške narodne skupine sredi slovenskega ozemlja. Na predstavitvenih tablah zato s sliko in besedo odkrivamo podobe nekdanjih vasi, krajine in prebivalcev, ki so stoletja sooblikovali Kočevsko. Avtor teksta: dr. Mitja Ferenc

  • O projektu "Izgubljene kočevarske vasi"

  • 1
  • 2

 

Looking into The Franciscan Cadastral Register from 1824, one sees mostly wooden residential houses along the eastern side of road. The land was divided into narrow, but regular parts, so the buildings were close one next to the other, showing the shortest side to the road. Behind the residential houses were lines of the farming edifices, orchards, cultivated fields, pastures and woods. The farmers had the parcels of farmland also at the other side of road. 

Until 1880 the number of villagers was growing, so in 19 houses 131 people were living then. But, like other villages all over the Kočevje Region, people were leaving Vrbovec to get their living on the other side of Atlantic Sea. In 1910 23 houses had only 77 inhabitants left. A trend of emigration continued in the following decade. The last official census in The Royal Yugoslavia (1931) recorded only 57 inhabitants. Eight of 21 houses remained empty and one was ruined. With few exceptions, just the Gottschee Germans were living in the village. Among 1880 and 1910, the Austrian censuses counted two or nine »Slovenians«. The Yugoslavian census in 1921 counted only one and later on here was no person of Slovenian origin anymore.

The majority of population made living by farming and foresting as well as by hawking – the typical activity of the Gottschees. In the village, there were two fairs each year. But the progress of the village was obstructed by deficit of water resources. The villagers collectively got the water from a modest reservoir – a cask. 

A school and a parish church were at Polom (3 km away), along with a graveyard. There, two tombstones are preserved: one for Alois Hönigman from Vrbovec No. 11 and the other for Johann Hönigman from Vrbovec No. 10. The village belonged to the Municipality Polom until 1933. After the small municipalities’ uniting, it belonged to Stari Log (11 km away). 

After the occupation, in 1941 the entire Kočevje Region became part of The Royal Italy, which made inhabitants of Vrbovec and other villages of the Gottschee Germans disappointed, as they wanted to live inside the German Reich. So they left the Kočevje Region in the winter of 1941 to live next to Sava- and Sotla river (Lower Styria), as the area there should become a part of German state. On 2. 12. 1941 53 people left 12 houses in Vrbovec. 

After they departed, the village remained empty and after the end of war all 16 houses were not suitable for use. The land became property of the state, as it was confiscated. After the war, occasionally there were up to three families, but after 1981 there was nobody in the village anymore. In the last two decades, Vrbovec is revived as a holiday settlement. 

The Church of St Mary of the Snow and The Chapel of St Thomas

It is assumed that The Church of St Mary of the Snow was built soon after the formation of Vrbovec (in the middle of 16th century) as a subsidiary church. But the building, which was preserved until World War II, was probably erected a century later. It was mentioned by the name Maria Hülff in Tiefenthal by Valvasor in 1689. According to a legend, the villagers raised the church to honour St Mary after it was snowing during one summer. 

The church was a destination for pilgrimages. During the second quarter of the 18th century it was enlarged and redesigned in the baroque manner. A ground plan shows a square nave and a three-sided presbytery. 

After World War II the sanctuary was not used anymore and it slowly decayed. The church was pulled down in 1951. The new settlers have cleared the location of church, so one can see its’ ground plan again. 

The Chapel of St Thomas was built next to a road to Mala Gora, approx. 2 km away from the village. One can still see two pillars and a part of wall. 

The archaeologists and speleologists jointly explored Vrbovška- or Popisana jama (the later meaning “written-all-over”) – a Carts cave, lying approx. 1,5 km southern of the village. They found traces of a pre-historical settlement.

Predstavitev vasi v besedi in sliki

  • All
  • Borovec Pri Kočevki Reki
  • Czmk
  • GLAŽUTA, Karlshütten, Gloschhittn
  • INLAUF, Inlauf, Inlaf
  • Izgubljene Kočevarske Vasi
  • JELENDOL, Hirisgruben
  • KUKOVO, Rapljevo, Kukundorf, Kukndoarf
  • Mitja Ferenc
  • Morobitz
  • Mröbitz
  • Nemška Loka, Unterdeutschau, Agə
  • ONEK, Honegg, Wrneggə
  • RAJHENAV, Reichenau, Reichenagə
  • Rajndol, Reintal, Reintol
  • Tvkocevje
  • VERDRENG Podlesje, Verdreng, Vərdreng
  • In the North of the Borovec Valley there is a village by the name Borovec. To the west and south-west
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a place with a view, near the round hilltop. This
    Več +
  • Once a workers’ settlement, Jelendol is situated in a wavy, woodsy world, next to the road between Dolenja Vas and
    Več +
  • There is an abandoned settlement which is lying in the Glažuta Valley, between Velika Gora (with its two peaks Turn,
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in the middle of the woods near the mountain Rog and
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a hilly country, next to a road Struge–Kočevje. German word
    Več +
  • This roadside village has almost a sample ground plan and was probably named after its’ situation – it lies at the
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated on the eastern, rather gently sloping, side of the peak of
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a Carst basin between Kočevski Rog in the north and
    Več +
  • This former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in a location to the west of Polom, in a hilly
    Več +
  • The abandoned village of the Gottschee Germans is situated in the valley of Verderb and Verdreng or the Podleška valley,
    Več +
  • The former village of the Gottschee Germans is situated right at the edge, in the southeast of a system of
    Več +